Saturday, January 15, 2011

Oysters!

Kenneth's mom brought us some oysters on Thursday and we cooked them last night (after buying a new car I might add!).
I will say that the first time that I ever had oysters I did not really enjoy them that much. Everyone that was there was going on and on how they loved them so much, and I did not see what was so special. Well, in the years to follow, I have grown to like them. I wouldn't go so far, though, as to say love them quite yet.

We cooked ours in the microwave, which may seem a bit unconventional, but it works and they're good. You place six oysters in a small pyrex dish, cover with a wet paper towel, and cook for three minutes. They should open up in that time. After that, open them up! We didn't have an oyster knife so, we used a screwdriver- hey, it worked. My husband did all of this work last night because I don't really enjoy the opening up process.

We then topped off the oysters with cocktail sauce that I had made, butter, and other toppings. I stuck to the cocktail sauce and butter. Husband made what he calls a "rooster" which entails butter, cocktail sauce, horseradish, Tabasco, and a jalapeno. The cocktail sauce is a simple recipe which includes: about a cup of ketchup, 3 tbs of horseradish, the juice of half a lemon, about a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of Tabasco sauce.

To accompany the oysters, I made some southern-style squash. I started off a skillet with some evoo. To that, I added three squash, sliced, and one onion, sliced. I let them get soft, and then added some garlic, salt, pepper, and a little bit of sugar. It was sort-of a summery dish, but it was nice with the oysters. And- we ate the squash straight from the pan while we made our oysters. It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment