Monday, September 8, 2014

It's in the Timing

I don’t know a lot about being patient- it’s not really my strong suit. I do have patience, but it is prayed-for patience. I pray for it and then God gives me many opportunities every day to be patient. Some days I’m successful, other days not so much. The dictionary definition of patient goes something like this: quietly and steadily persevering with fortitude and calm, and without complaint, anger, or the like. I like the words steadily and calm from that definition. Sometimes while waiting, it is hard to be steady and calm. Many times, for me, I find it especially hard to exhibit steadiness and calmness when trusting in the timing of things for baby girl. Here’s just a quick list of things I have stressed about recently as far as timing is concerned: when do we start formula? when should she start eating solid food? when should we go from three naps to just two? she’s not rolling over, shouldn’t she be rolling over? when should we break free of the swaddle? is it time to move to a four-hour feeding schedule? she’s still not crawling, is that ok? is it ok for her to sleep with a blanket overnight now? And- the list could go on, and on…and on. Perhaps you are a mama and you have stressed/are stressing about the timing of similar things. Perhaps you have your own list and are worried about getting the timing of these things right. Perhaps you are more of a “go with the flow” kind of person, in which case, you can stop reading.

You see, here’s where the problem starts- we are worried about when WE should make decisions regarding timing, when, in reality, we should be worried about when HE is going to time things. Something that has been on my heart, friends, is the Lord’s timing and do we trust it? My sweet girl teaches me time and time again that I am not in control of timing and that I must continue to be steadily patient and remain calm. All of those things I listed above? Holly did them exactly when was right for her. I probably worried about most of those things for weeks before she was ready, and then just one day, she was ready. She knew her timing. She didn’t stress and the Lord made her ready, well, when she was ready. I continue to be taught about the Lord, His goodness, and His perfect timing through that precious girl. He has given her to me, at exactly the right time, to teach me exactly what I’m supposed to be learning.

I love this verse from Habakkuk: “For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay. (2:3)” You see in the midst of chaos and turmoil, the Lord told Habakkuk to wait and trust in His timing. People have been steadily and calmly waiting for a long time, and we must do the same. What are you waiting for? Stay steady. What timing are you trying to control? Be calm. The Lord has perfect timing, let us rest in that. And, let us be encouraged by this, because this, friends, this is good: “For I am going to do something in your days, that you would not believe, even if you were told.” Habakkuk 1:5

And I’ll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment