Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Wrapping up 2010

In a few days 2010 will be over. We are looking forward to celebrating with friends in DC this year!

The past two weeks have been fun and eventful. I wrapped up my last day of work and then we headed to Wintergreen to go skiing with my MIL for a few days. The trip proved to be quite interesting-but fun. We had a great time. I did, however, spend more time on the ground in the snow than I did up on two skis. It is sufficient to say that I am not a natural-born skier- by any stretch of the imagination. Husband, in contrast to me, was excellent. He was very good at supporting me during my occasional, ok- so more than occasional, break downs over my lack of skiing talent.

After skiing, we came back to our house for Christmas Eve. It was our first Christmas Eve at our home, and our first one (due to snow) alone. It was fun for us. We had an easy dinner- roasted sun-dried tomato tilapia and potatoes, with a soup course of Brunswick stew (nope, they don’t really go together, but we needed to use up the stew). We had a candlelit dinner and used my new Napa Style glasses and antique silverware. I served the fish and potatoes on our Vietri Santa plate that Kenneth’s grandma gave us for Christmas last year, it is very pretty and it was the first time we have gotten to use it. So, in all it was a great Christmas Eve dinner. Afterward, we headed to midnight mass and then came home and waited for Santa to come!

On Christmas day we woke up early and opened presents while enjoying a cup of hot coco. Just thinking of hot coco makes me want some- I’ll probably go make some upon completion of this post! I got a bunch of fun kitchen things that I can’t wait to use. I have a new 2 quart soup pot, and Wusthof knife (it rocks, I used it tonight), a bunch of serving pieces, and more. I also got a new camera to take better pictures of food! We went to my hometown Christmas day and celebrated with my family. Mom cooked most of the time that we were home and it was good to have some good home-cooking! I helped her cook dinner (pork tenderloin, sautéed green beans, roasted potatoes, sweet potato casserole, and corn pudding) the day after Christmas for thirty people. I don’t think I’ve ever cooked for that many people before- timing was everything! Husband cooked the meat and he rocked it out.

The two pictures below are of two meals I still needed to post about. The first is the grilled chicken salad I referenced in the previous post. It was simple, and good. I just grilled up a piece of chicken, cut it up and tossed it on romaine hearts. I drizzled the salad with pomegranate dressing and topped with dried cranberries and shaved parmesan. The second picture is of tonight’s dinner. We went for simple- American classic. Husband is watching NC State play in their bowl game so I did a version of game time food. We had hotdogs, potato salad, roasted scallions, and baked beans. I made French potato salad, an Ina Garten recipe, and it was good. I had never made it before. I halved the recipe because I only had about one pound of red potatoes, and it turned out fine.

Well, that’s enough for now. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment