Saturday, February 19, 2011

February: the month of food, love, and the flu

About two weeks ago I made chicken parmesan by Ina Garten's recipe. It was rockin. Just thinking of it makes me want some. It will definitely be on the menu again next month. Also, on the night that I made the chicken parmesan, I talked to my friend Liz on the phone for an hour, so it was a doubly good night. To make the dish for 2-3 people you'll need the following (the original recipe yields 6 servings, I've cut it down some):

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
about 1 cup flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 eggs
1 tbs water
1 cup of bread crumbs
1/2 cup of grated parmesan
unsalted butter
olive oil
salad greens (you can use torn romaine or arugula)
lemon vinaigrette (2 lemons, 1/2 cup evoo, salt, pepper)

Set up three large plates. On the first, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. On the second, beat the eggs with the water. And- on the third, combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan, reserving some parm for serving. You will need to pound your chicken breasts until almost flat. Then coat them first in the flour, second in the egg, and then in the breadcrumbs and parmesan (pressing lightly each time). Heat a skillet pan on medium heat with a combination of evoo and butter. You can use just evoo, which is what I did. Cook the chicken breasts in the pan for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until cooked through.

Meanwhile, toss your salad greens with the lemon vinaigrette. When the chicken is cooked, top it off with some salad greens, sprinkle on some extra parmesan, and enjoy!



I included a photo of my "plate stations" to prep the chicken.

In other news, husband and I have both been sick for the past week. I was officially diagnosed with the flu on Thursday. So, our meals this week have consisted mostly of homemade chicken noodle soup. In fact, that is how we celebrated our Valentines day. I did break out my favorite glasses, antique soup spoons, and candles to make it a little bit more special. We even jazzed it up some with saltine goldfish. Ha. Check out the photo below.



It was still a good Valentine's day, even if we were both sick and grumpy. I wouldn't want to celebrate with anyone else.

Thankfully, today I am feeling much better. I did have to miss a whole weekend away for YL with husband though. So, it's been a little bit lonely around here with him gone. I'll be glad for him to be home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment