Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Herbed Tilapia & Parmesan Risotto

The past two weeks feel like a whirlwind! As I posted on before, we celebrated our 2 year anniversary last Monday and then I left on Thursday to celebrate one of my best friend's wedding. So fun! And- we also stayed in town to celebrate Father's Day and my Dad's birthday! I just got back yesterday and I am set to leave again on Thursday to take some kids to camp. Then, we leave three days after that for the beach to celebrate the Fourth. I can say that I will be glad for a few calm days at home, that will happen in July maybe?!

When I got home last night I had to improvise a little bit with dinner because we hadn't gone grocery shopping. So, I took some tilapia out of the freezer and gathered up ingredients for a simple risotto. I made up the risotto recipe as I went.

Since my herbs are for the most part doing well right now (when I say "well" I mean the basil and chives are doing really well, the parsley sort-of well, and the dill is dead, ha), I decided to dress the tilapia up with them. We had also ran out of evoo, so I had to substitute with butter. Here's what I did:

For the fish (2 servings) you'll need: 2 pieces of tilapia, a handful of each julienned basil, chopped parsley, and chopped chives, 2 tbs of butter, lemon slices, salt, and pepper.

1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. Place 1 tbs of butter on each fish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Sprinkle the herbs over each piece of fish, and place the lemon slices on each.
4. Cook in the oven for 13-14 minutes until cooked through.

For the risotto (4 servings) you'll need: 1 32 oz. box of chicken broth, 1/2 cup water, 2 tbs evoo, 1 medium onion, chopped, 1 clove of garlic minced, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 3/4 cup aborio rice, 1/4 cup white wine, 2 tbs butter, 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

1. Heat the evoo in a medium skillet over medium heat and cook the onions and garlic until cooked through, add salt and pepper
2. Meanwhile, combine the broth and water in a separate sauce pan, simmer on low
2. Add in the rice to the onions and cook for 1 minute
3. Add the wine and cook until absorbed
4. Add two ladlefuls of broth to the rice until absorbed, repeat with all of the remaining broth (this will take about 18 minutes)
5. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the butter and the parmesan





If you have the time (about 45 minutes), try this meal, it was very delicious!
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment