Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Squash Casserole & The Beach So Far

We are finally at the beach! Husband has been coming to Hatteras since he was a child, and I've joined him the past five or six years. It's wonderful.

This past week we dined on some yummy food, one thing being squash casserole. It's my mom's recipe. I have had many friends, including my husband, who have said they don't like squash and/or casseroles and they like this squash casserole. Here's the recipe:

You'll need:
4-5 medium squash, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 box of chicken flavor stove top stuffing
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, saute the squash and onion in 1 tbs of evoo until soft. Meanwhile, cook the stuffing in the microwave according to the microwave directions on the box, but do not use vegetable oil. After the squash is soft, transfer it into a 13x9 baking dish. Add the sour cream, milk, and cream of chicken soup. Mix together, add the salt and pepper. Place the prepared stuffing on top. Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until bubbling.



I also made a peach crisp this past week. We LOVE this peach crisp. It's a recipe from Real Simple a few years back and it is my go to summer dessert recipe. Here's the recipe. I usually half it for just the two of us. Try it, you will love it.



I cooked dinner tonight here at the beach. We had a tomato brushetta appetizer. Then, for dinner we had parmesan crusted tilapia, zuchini & red onion saute, and roasted potatoes. It was all good, if I do say so myself! I found the brushetta recipe off the back of a New York Style bagel crisps bag. It was simple and good. Here it is:

1 large tomato, 1/4 inch diced
2 tbs red onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tbs fresh basil, chopped or julienned
1/8 tsp each salt and pepper
1 tbs evoo
New York Style bagel chips

Combine all of the above ingredients minus the bagel chips and mix well. Spoon the mixture on top of the bagel chips. Simple and good!



Favorite Kitchen Gadget: This isn't a gadget, but I love Ina Garten's new cookbook, "How Easy is That?". Kenneth's grandma gave it to me when we got to the beach!

I am leaving you with a picture of a seagull on the beach. I'll have more pictures to post later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment