Sunday, October 31, 2010

Second Annual Halloween Dinner (well, lunch)

Happy Halloween!

Last year I started a tradition with my family (husband, mom, dad, nana, little brother) of having a Halloween dinner. On last year's menu we had "hash brown brains", bloody eggs, and other Halloween themed breakfast for dinner items. It was very fun. So, we decided to reconvene and repeat the festivities this year.

Since there were some difficulties with scheduling dinner this year, we opted for Halloween lunch. Basically we had dinner for lunch. I didn't really do too much Halloween themed food this time. Late last week I planned my menu: pork tenderloin, green beans, and marbled baked potatoes. Then, this week I was watching Barefoot Contessa do a "Halloween for adults" episode and she had almost the same menu (she had baked apples vs. potatoes)! I was very excited that I had planned on my own what she actually did.

I did a rub that I saw Ina Garten do on that episode for my pork tenderloin. In the food processor, you grind together 4-6 cloves of garlic, 2 tsp fennel seeds, 1/3 cup rosemary, and 2 tbs of lemon zest. Then, you add 2 tbs of evoo, 2 tbs of dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Rub the pork with the mixture and bake on 350 for about 30 minutes.

The green beans I made were the same ones from the previous post. I love their flavor.


The baked potatoes were pretty good. There were a little time consuming, but they were sort-of Halloween themed. Basically you bake 6 russet potatoes and 2 sweet potatoes for 20 minutes. (My measures are a little larger because I was cooking for 6 people). Then, take them out, poke with a fork, bake for 15 more minutes. Then, skin the sweet potatoes and mash them in a bowl. After that, cut the russet potatoes crosswise on top and scoop out the flesh. Put the russet flesh in a bowl and add 3-4 tbs of butter, 1 cup sour cream, a pinch of nutmeg, and about half a cup of cheddar cheese. Then, you gently fold in the sweet potatoes. After that, you stuff the potatoes back and bake them for 25 more minutes. I'll link the recipe here.


For dessert, my mom made pumpkin bread. It was oh so delicious.

After lunch, some folks went on a walk while my dad and I carved my pumpkin, and husband washed dishes. (He's a good one.) My dad and I always carve a pumpkin on Halloween. We've been carving since I can remember. We usually stick with a pretty classic design. Of course, we toasted the pumpkin seeds afterward!

Now, husband and I are watching "Under Wraps"- a Disney Channel Halloween movie from when we were kids. He is actually sleeping and I am watching, but it is on none the less. It will be the last Halloween movie for the year, which is sort of sad, but that just means Christmas movies are coming!

That's all for now...don't let roaming goblins and ghosts get you!

No comments:

Post a Comment