Friday, September 2, 2011

Stuffed Cuban Pork Tenderloin & the Weekend!

Yay for a 3 day weekend! I'm so glad to have a little break!

We kicked off the weekend with...wait for it, grocery shopping! Woo! While grocery shopping on the first on the month is not my favorite thing, I am thankful for a now full fridge and pantry. Tonight we made Stuffed Cuban Pork Tenderloin, a recipe from August's Cooking Light. This was a five ingredient recipe (s&p don't count) and it turned out to be pretty good. It was a good mix up to our normal pork tenderloin recipe.

Here's what you need: 1 pound of pork tenderloin, trimmed, 2 tbs whole grain dijon mustard, 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, 1/3 cup chopped bread & butter pickles*, 3 thin slices of Swiss cheese, halved, 1/4 tsp each of salt & pepper

1. Preheat the grill to medium-high
2. Slit the pork lengthwise 2/3 of the way through, open the halves laying the pork flat. Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the meat and pound it out with a meat hammer until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Spread the mustard evenly over the pork and sprinkle with the cilantro & pickles*. Arrange the cheese in a single layer.
3. Roll the pork up, tying it up with kitchen twine in 1 inch intervals. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
4. Grill the pork for 22 minutes, 11 minutes per side. Let it rest for 5 minutes.

*The recipe calls for bread & butter pickles. I made mine with sweet pickles because that's what I had and that made it a little off. My MIL made it with dill pickles which she thinks would be better than the b&b ones. This can be your judgment call!

To go with the pork, I made roasted brussell sprouts and roasted cauliflower. To do this: preheat the oven to 400. Drizzle both with evoo and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss it all together and roast for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. You can do them both on the same sheet or do them separately.

Here's some step-by-step pictures of the pork recipe:

 splitting the pork

spread on the mustard

sprinkle on cilantro & pickles...ours only had half cheese b/c Kenneth doesn't eat Swiss

grill & eat!

Tomorrow we are headed to Raleigh to do some shopping and to go to NC State's first game. I'm getting excited! I can't help but share my first game outfit! My favorite part is my earrings!




Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment