Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Should Be Packing...

No matter how excited I am to go a little traveling adventure (tonight's case: Rockbridge tomorrow to see my husband!), I hate to pack. I do everything I can to avoid it...such as cleaning out the fridge, blogging, facebooking, and researching new music- not that I'm doing any of those things right now as I should be packing.

It's been a pretty hectic week at school. We are all trying to adjust to changes at the same time which gives way to a lot of chaos! But- each day has gotten progressively better. I am glad for that. Mom came down last night and we had a good time running errands in town (including picking up some more peaches!), cooking, and watching "Waiting for Forever." We had intended on seeing "The Help", but due to my small town movie theater, it was not showing yet. So, conveniently I had "Waiting for Forever" in my mailbox from Netflix. It's a good movie with an indie feel, somewhat confusing at times, but overall a good watch. And, from the movie I have discovered "The Mostar Diving Club" band. I love their music in the movie. They also have a song called "The Honey Tree" which reminds me of honey jars and my slight obsession with obtaining the perfect one.

For dinner we had parmesan-crusted tilapia, Mom's mashed potatoes (my favorite), zucchini ricotta fritters, and a fresh garden sliced tomato. The fritters were a recipe from this month's Food & Wine. They were awesome. I made up the fish recipe. Here they are:

For the fish you'll need (2 servings): 2 tilapia fillets, 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese, 1 egg, beaten, 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper.

1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. On a plate, mix together the parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper with your hand. Put the beaten egg on the other plate.
3. Coat each piece of fish with the egg and then dip it in the parmesan mixture to coat both sides.
4. Place the fish on a foil-lined baking sheet and cook in the oven for 13 minutes until cooked through.

As I said, the zucchini fritters were a recipe from Food & Wine by Mario Batali...
For the fritters you'll need (makes 20)- 2 zucchini coarsely shredded, 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced, 3 scallions thinly sliced, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 2 large eggs, 2 tsp lemon zest, salt, pepper, 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour, and olive oil for frying.

1. In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, garlic, scallions, ricotta, eggs, lemon zest and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Stir well, then stir in the flour just until incorporated.
2. Line a large baking sheet or large plate (which is what I did) with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of olive oil until shimmering. Working in batches, add 2-tablespoon mounds of the zucchini batter to the hot oil, spreading them to form 3-inch fritters. Fry over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain the fritters on the paper towels and serve right away.



It was all really delectable! Well, it is 10:07 and I really should pack and make my way to bed.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment