Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Peach Crisp

You can't live in the south and not love peaches. And- it's peach season baby. I love, love, love all things peach. In fact, July's Southern Living had a whole feature on how to use peaches. Awesome. However, before I could experiment with any of their recipes, I had to make my favorite summer dessert- peach crisp. It's a recipe from Real Simple a couple of years ago.

Here's what you need: 5 pounds of peaches, sliced into 8 wedges each, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 3/4 cup plus 1 tbs flour, 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter chilled and cut into small pieces, 2 cups rolled oats, and 1 cup of almonds (optional)

Here's how: 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, toss the peaches with the granulated sugar and 1 tbs flour, pour into a baking dish
3. In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, salt, and remaining 3/4 cup flour. Using your fingers, incorporate the butter until coarse crumbs form. Mix in the oats and almonds.
4. Squeeze the topping onto the peaches and bake for 45-50 minutes, until fruit is tender.



I usually half the recipe because I eat a ton of peaches before I make the crisp and typically have only about 7 left over to make the crisp. But- still so good!

It looks like I'll be making another trip to the peach stand this week!

Tomorrow I meet my students, pray for a good open house!

1 comment:

  1. Peaches are one of my favorite summer desserts. They are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete