Sunday, August 8, 2010

Back to School

Tomorrow is the first day of school. As cliche as it sounds, it is really hard to believe that the summer has come to a silent end. Tomorrow morning will be filled with sounds of school buses, and sights of children nervously and excitedly entering into a new year. I suppose I am ready but I would never turn down a few more days of summer.

I thought that since tonight marked the end of summer for me, I would cook up some fish to remind me of the beach which reminds me of summer. On our most recent beach trip my husband caught two dolphin (also known as mahi mahi). So, since the dolphin was awaiting me in the freezer, I thawed it out and embarked upon tonight's meal.

No recipes tonight folks, just putting some flavors together that I really like. I brushed each piece of the fish with dijon mustard. I should mention that my husband did have to cut out the, what I call, "yucky" parts of the fish because, well, I just can not deal with that. (I have only recently brought myself to deveining shrimp.) After brushing the fish with the mustard I coated them in panko bread crumbs. It was at this point I should have just thrown the fish in a pan with heated olive oil, but I thought, I'd like it grilled. (The only reason I wanted it grilled, by the way, is becuase I didn't want the house to smell like fish.) But- I did not put it in the pan, I had husband grill it. The panko bread crumbs got a bit charred (duh, right?), but otherwise it was cooked to perfection. Shout out to you husband.

While the fish was grilling, I cooked some fresh corn (we got a dozen really good ears of corn for only $1.99, awesome) and sauteed some tomatoes that I had that were about to kick the dust along with a scallion- white and green parts. To the tomato saute I added garlic, salt, and pepper. All of the vegetables were very scrumptious. I also made a parsley-lime vinaigrette to drizzle over the fish. So, I guess I did lie when I said no recipes because the vinaigrette recipe came from Joy of Cooking. Anyway, in all it was a great end of summer meal.


Since tomorrow is a school day I had to pack my lunch. I have been packing my lunch for twelve years, by the way, through middle and high school, two years of college, and two prior years of teaching. I believe it's time I hire a personal lunch chef.

In celebration of a new school year, I packed a classic school lunch (usually I take leftovers). It consists of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chips, and yogurt. I have a bag of Raisin Bran for breakfast.

My husband is watching the first night of football which tells me that fall is right around the corner.

Goodbye summer, I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment